December 28 2009 UPDATE to Part 2:
I received an email from Anthony in Amazon Executive Customer Relations
I’ve confirmed that your concern regarding the La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger has been fully investigated by Amazon.com, our vendors and the manufacturer. At this time, they’ve found the item is safe if used as intended and has been reinstated for purchase.
I’m very sorry, but we’re unable to offer any additional information or insight regarding this matter.
So despite 5 users reporting similar meltdowns on their own site in ONE WEEK, Amazon has concluded the item is safe. Absolutely unbelievable. Here are the links:
I didn’t waste any time following my Friday evening incident, where the La Crosse BC-9009 battery charger I was using overheated so much it started to melt the battery charger and smoke. First thing this morning I contacted the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to advise them. I would encourage any others who have experienced a similar meltdown to do the same. They are now conducting a review and have requested my defective unit for analysis for a potential recall.
I also contacted La Crosse to report the incident and spoke with their National Sales manager. He told me he is not aware of any problem and that he has the older model, the BC-900. He claims he uses it every day and leaves it plugged-in. He requested my defective unit but I declined as I had promised it to the USCPSC.
I contacted Amazon.com, the retailer I purchased the battery charger from, and requested that they review the product on the grounds that my unit was defective and that there were very recent reports from other Amazon customers that their La Crosse battery chargers were also overheating. By the end of the day Amazon contacted me to inform me that the item was “under review” and they were no longer offering the BC-9009, although it was still available from “other marketplace sellers”. So small victory and at least this will make consumers think twice before deciding if they feel this product is safe.